Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pattypan Squash Bread

Well...
Things have cooled off a bit here, and last night we finally got some rain.
Everything still looks fried but one can hope!
I've been wanting to bake,
anything,
cookies, bread, enchiladas, whatever!

Squash bread and jalapeno cornbread
Brendie over at Bregle Estate has been tempting me
with her baked Maori bread,
which sounds super yummy, and I'm dying to give it a try.
I've only turned my oven on once or twice since about June,
and I'm thinking, it's about time.
I can't do the Maori bread just yet (needs to ferment) but I can do a some quick breads.
I made a squash bread for our breakfast's during the week and
a jalapeno cornbread to go with our ham and beans.
So here goes.
Squash Bread

Ingredients:
Dry
2 cups flour/divided use
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon.
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger or ground cloves

 Wet
1 cup canned pumpkin*
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening

Goodies
1/2 cup chopped walnuts*
1/2 cup raisins*

Directions:
 Preheat oven to 350° In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and spices.

Add pumpkin, milk, eggs and shortening.
Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes.
Add remaining 1 cup flour and beat well.
Stir in nuts and raisins with a spatula.

Pour batter into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
(Only grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides,
lets the bread rise straight up, not out and over the edges, trust me).
Bake @ 350°  for about 1 hour.
Cool (in loaf pan) on wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool thoroughly.
Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

*I didn't have canned pumpkin, but I did have cooked, frozen patty pan squash that I thawed, drained, then pureed in the food processor. You can use any cooked squash or sweet potato.
*You can use any chopped nuts.
*I used 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup currants.
I have also done this recipe with dried, chopped apricots.

Squash bread
While I was in the freezer I spotted mixed, cooked greens.
I'm thinking,
pureed greens to replace the squash
dried rosemary, thyme, lemon balm or basil to replace the spices
diced, drained, canned pineapple or dried, diced apricots to replace the fruit
and diced ham or chicken to replace the nuts.
What do you think, Yucky or yummy?

Till next time, eat your veggies,
Bonjour

4 comments:

Sue from Ky. said...

Now that sounds like a recipe I might have stirred up from scratch, throwing in whatever I have on hand that sounds like it might go good together. Now that's my kinda cake or bread.When you are hungry, everything tastes so good.Even lettuce.Have you ever noticed how good lettuce is when you're really hungry?We are all so spoiled, I'll bet we would like a lot more foods, if we did allow ourselves to get good and hungry.

Unknown said...

Hi Sue, I agree, go with what you have on hand, we are so much alike in that respect! I view a recipe as just a place to start. I think my mom cooked like that also.
Thanks for the goulash recipe I'll be trying it soon.

Nancy said...

I'm often exchanging ingredients, depending upon what I have on hand. I applaud your originality! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Nancy!