Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Pancake Zingers

Pancake Zingers
?????
You might be asking,
what are Pancake Zingers?

Well, I'll be glad to tell you!

They're a full meal deal.
 Meat, veggies and sometimes cheese,
all combined to make a yummy disk shaped treat!
No syrup needed!

I'm always searching for food to go.
I have to leave for work early in the AM
so on the road food is my only choice.
I try not to do the fast food places,
not good for my health or my pocketbook.

So here goes.
These are delicious.

Pancake Zingers

Ingridents for the filling:
1 small onion, minced
2 ribs celery plus some leaves, minced
1 small bell pepper, minced (any color)
1 small roma tomato, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup cooked ham, minced
oil for sautéing

Ingredients for the batter:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
2 tbsp. cooking oil

Directions for the filling:

Heat oil in a sauté pan, (about two turns of the pan)
add onion, celery, bell pepper and tomato.
Sauté  till limp, then add the garlic clove and ham.
Warm through.
Remove from the heat.

Directions for the batter:
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
In a large measuring cup, measure milk first, then add the egg, then the oil. Blend.

Add the liquid to the dry, lightly mixing. Now add your sautéed veggie/meat mixture.
At this point you can add any grated cheese of your choice, about 1/4 cup.
Use a light hand to incorporate.
Let the mixture sit a few while you're heating your griddle.

When a few drops of water dance on the griddle you're ready to go.
I use a small gravy ladle to spoon out my batter, and I can fit three cakes on my griddle.
(I have a seasoned cast iron griddle so there's really no need to grease the pan).
When bubbles form on the top of the cakes, flip and cook for another a minute or so.
Remove to a platter and continue on.
Makes about fifteen cakes.

You could sub cooked ground pork, diced cooked chicken or any meat of your choice.

I package these up three to a baggie and eat them cold.
Sweet and savory!

If you have any suggestions for one handed, on the road food, let me know.
I'm always looking for something different!
I mean it!!!

Till next time,
Bonjour




7 comments:

Sue from Ky. said...

I'll bet they would be good deep fried(but in olive oil, the good-for-you oil).I mix up left overs many times like that and make patties. I never used a recipe for them though. I just add and stir and cook.Most time it turns out pretty good.
Pop and I had deep fried chicken livers last night.I hardly ever eat anything fried, so they were extra yummy to me.

Anonymous said...

These look good......going to give them a try.

Unknown said...

Hey Sue I never thought of trying to fry them.
Your fried pies would make a great on the go meal.
Have you tried Brendie's sweet potato thingie yet?
That seems like it might have lots of possibilities. I'll have to wait to try it though, it's still too hot here for oven usage.


Hi Anonymous, thanks, they really are good. Let me know what you think.

Nancy said...

Sounds delicious, Terry. I do alot of wraps with tortillas -- I'll make up some ground meat with onion, wrap it up (with or without cheese) and eat them cold.

Unknown said...

Hey Nancy- tortillas are so cool, so many possible uses!

Leontien said...

Jep sounds like great zingers to me!

good to use for hubby when he's on the tractor all day!

Thanks
Leontien

Stacey said...

These pancakes look amazing! I love the idea of adding savoury things to pancakes. I am going to have to give these a try in the near future.