Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

P Is For Poison And I have The Recipe


My Poor Oleander

The Rhubarb












Well...

Remember the boy at work who told me,

"WHEN THE WORLD FALLS APART
I'M COMING TO YOUR PLACE BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALL THE FOOD,
AND IF YOU DON'T FEED ME I'LL KILL YOU, AND EAT YOU"?

I have a special salad just for him.

RHUBARB AND OLEANDER LEAVES SALAD
WITH RANCH DRESSING. HEHE!!!

Just kidding!

We're working on a fence, got the posts set, now we need the wire and a gate.
You never know who might show up uninvited!!!!



Blooming Plum

The New Persimmon Tree


In the five or so years that we've lived here, in addition to the shade type trees, 
Steve has planted about twenty fruit trees,
(peach, pear, pomegranate, fig, quince,
apple, persimmon, plum and apricot)
several nut trees,
(black walnut and pecan)
not to mention the veggie garden.
Add to that all of the herbs I've planted.
(rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, all kinds of mints,
lemon balm, lemon verbena, basil, dill,
garlic, fennel and onions.)

On the property Nathan and I discovered
wild garlic, wild walking onions and wild blackberries.

The previous owners planted two mulberry trees.

So as you can see we have a lot of plants to tend.
That's a lot of work and water.
It anyone wants to come out here and help with the work
I have no problem feeding you,
 otherwise you get an Oleander and Rhubarb Leaves Salad.
YUM!!!

The New Pear Tree
In this part of Texas, Cedar and Mesquite trees are quite prolific.
If you aren't careful they will take over and choke out anything else.
Believe me, I've seen this first hand.
With a little help from Google I've discovered that you can make a
flour type product from the Mesquite bean seeds.
Complicated process but it's useful info in a crisis.
We have several of both trees on our property.
If anyone knows of a food use for Cedar trees I would be happy to know.


One Of The Mulberry Trees
(Maybe I should Turn That Rain Barrel Right Side Up?)

My Favorite Mesquite Tree


Underneath both of these trees are wild blackberry bushes.
You gotta love the birds for this,
they sit in the trees and poop out berry seeds and viola,
BERRY VINES.
Nature is a strange and wonderful thing.
SUNSET

What kind of plants do you have growing?

Nathan and I had  a very busy day cooking and exploring
so I'm off to watch Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.
One of his favorites!
Till next time,
Bonjour

3 comments:

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

well i thought you could probably use cedar for smoking foods so i thought i would check and yes you can also found this little titbit
food uses of cedar:
Dried inner bark can be ground into a nutritious meal during times of lack of food. The small seeds were also eaten. Sometimes on hot, sunny days, when photosynthesis and root pressure are high, and transpiration is slow, crystals of sugar form at the tips of needles and around branches. This rare treat was occasionally eaten raw or collected for future use in sweetening foods.

Medicinal uses:
The bough tea, sweetened with honey, was used to cure diarrhoea, coughs, colds and sore throats. Alcoholic extracts of the western red cedar were said to cure fungal infections such as athlete's foot.

Other Uses:
In the past, First Nations peoples considered this tree to be a tree of life. It was used to make canoes, clothing form the bark, baskets from the roots, totem poles, and cooking boxes.

Unknown said...

H.O.L.E.Y. C.R.A.P. Brendie you are a treasure trove of info.
Meal, sugar, medicine, clothes?
And to think on a daily basis I see fields of Cedar being dozed. We've even collected some of these downed trees for erosion problems on our property.
I'll do more research on the type of Cedar we have here, I'm on a learning curve, thanks.
Do you have a link to this info?

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

http://www.helium.com/items/820630-cedar-trees-identification-and-uses