Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Ennis Bluebonnet Trails

Bluebonnets
COUNTDOWN...

My town is the Bluebonnet Capitol of Texas.
For the whole month of April everywhere you look you'll see bluebonnets.
On the side of the highway, in open fields, in my yard,
acres upon acres of bluebonnets.
Mixed in with the bluebonnets are indian paint brushes and
a host of other wildflowers
that I should know the names of but, sadly I don't.


You can go to the Ennis Visitor's Bureau and pick up a map
that lists over 40 miles of drivable trails
for viewing this bluebonnet phenomenon.  
I live on one of these trails.
There's even a sign at the top of the hill that says so!
On the weekends there's a steady stream of visitors
out viewing and taking pictures of the wildflowers.

When I first came to Texas, and this little town, I did the same,
 yep,
 had my picture taken sitting in a patch of wildflowers......
Sounds sweet, doesn't it?

Know what I got?
A bad case of chiggers!!!!
What the heck is a chigger, I had never heard of a chigger!

(Any of various small, six-legged larvae of mites of the family Trombiculidae, parasitic on insects, humans, and other vertebrates. The chigger's bite produces a wheal that is usually accompanied by severe itching. Also called chigoe, harvest bug, harvest mite, jigger2, red bug.)


Gnawing, biting, itchy little critters is what they are!
I was miserable for weeks.
 (Well maybe not for weeks, I am a bit of a drama queen).
Don't even know what happened to that picture.

Anyway,
Every time I see a family, with their cute little girl, dressed in her Sunday best,
out taking her picture in the wildflowers, I think to myself,

YOU'RE GONNA BE SORRY!!!


So, keep my story in mind if you have a hankering 
to have your picture taken in a field of wild flowers!!!

So,
 this weekend is,
 "The Bluebonnet Arts & Craft Festival"
where tens of thousands of people (said so on the visitor bureau's website)
come to pick up maps of the trails and purchase bluebonnet related stuff.

I have bluebonnet related stuff....
I carry a bluebonnet soap.
I guess you know where I'll be spending the next two days.
(Booth # 9 if you want to come visit me).

We always do well at this show
and,
 there really are a lot of visitors
 and,
 since it's in my home town,
it's a no brainer!
Soap Display
Time to label some soap and pack the totes.
(Oh no, the rhyming thing again).

See you'all Monday!
Bonjour

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I know what chiggers are, all too well. I seem to get them every year, if I forget to spray myself down with deet before venturing down to the pond.

Good luck on your sales today! Sounds like a wonderful event. :)

Sue from Ky. said...

Chiggers and turkey mites. The end result is about the same. A constant itching that never stops.Well,maybe not never,but it itches for quite some time. Stop the itching if you can.
As for the blue bonnet,I'm not familiar with it,but I did buy a flower yesterday that looks similar. I'll do some research on that today.

Inger said...

I never had chigger bites, they look really bad. But the flowers make up for it and how fun with your soap. I hope you have a great time.--Inger

Leontien said...

haha after reading your story (can't see the pic, computer is slow...) i allready feel bad for the little girls in their sunday dresses!

And thank you for your lovely comment on my post!
Leontien

Tricha said...

Hi Terry,
I remember that David and Mom got chiggers on a hike we took once. It was terrible. They itch so bad.

I don't think they are going to let you write the visitor's bureau brochure if you are going to point out vile bugs though :) tee hee, those little details get left out of brochures.

Hope you did well this weekend. I am going to surprise you at one of your shows one day.

Have a great week
Love Tricha

Unknown said...

Hi everyone,
We had a great 2 day show with a lot of returning customers, yea!
Sold out of the bluebonnet soap of course, and am pretty low on a few others.
Guess you know what's in my future!

Didn't hear anyone talking about getting chigger bites so maybe they remembered to use their deep woods off or at least something like that.
But....we're talking about city folk, so who knows?

And no, they probably wouldn't want me to write the visitor's bureau brochure Tricha.

Hope you'all had a great weekend too, I off to see who did what.