Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Mock Fried Meat Pies

Let me tell you....
Texas is starting to warm right on up, which means no turning on the oven.

My husband Steve AKA  the fruit tree guy, has been selling fruit trees like crazy.
Not just your normal ones either,
customers are looking for things like Quince, Mulberry, Persimmon, Pomogranate....
He's been doing a lot of Goggling and phone calling to find these unusual
(at least around here) types of trees.
He's a very busy guy in the spring.

Did I forget to mention he works at a nursery?

What does this have to do with ovens and meat pies you might ask?

There's no time for him to eat....

I'm not kidding, no sitting down with a plate or fork.

He needs portable food, something he can eat on the go.
So on my days off I've been making him big batches of meat pies, fruit pies and fajita rolls.
I package them up into meal size portions and freeze them.
They need to be done now because in a few weeks there will be no turning the oven on.
I can do the fajitas on the grill but not the meat or fruit pies.
Anyway, that's what I've been doing instead of blogging, (oh yeah, I've been making soap too).


FRESH BAKED PIES

 I call them mock fried pies because I bake them instead of frying them.
I lightly oil the cookie sheet, lay down the pies,
brush the tops with oil, bake for 10 minutes,
flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
They come out nicely browned on both sides.
All they consist of is meat mixed with veggies and gravy in a pie crust round.


CUTTING ROUNDS WITH A CEREAL BOWL
 I do a double pie crust recipe times 4, roll it out, cut it into rounds,
then fill, fold in half, seal. and bake.
Basically I'm doing  hand held pot pies.
(I add chopped herbs to my pie dough for added zing)

The fruit ones are made from canned fruit preserves that are heated
and thickened with corn starch.
This last batch of fruit pies was made with papaya/cantaloupe preserves.

The fajita rolls are cheese, sautéed meat and veggies rolled up
in a flour tortilla and packaged the same as the meat pies.
(Forgot to photo those).
About 45 sec. in the microwave and he's good to go.
A lot of work but worth it.

Nathan helped me make these,
he's learning how to stay away from the fast food places.

After we finished our baking,
Nathan and I took a walk down to the creek for a little R&R.
The scenery was nice as was the quiet.
 (As much quiet you can  get with a 12 year old anyway)!


NEIGHBOURS COW


CHECK OUT THE BARBED WIRE REFLECTION ON THIS COW

NATHAN CLEANING HIS FOUND SHELLS

NATHAN EXPLORING
We found shells and some cool rocks at the creek.
Nathan and I are big rock collectors.
We stayed for about an hour or so at the creek then it was back to the Casa
to fry up some fish and hush puppies.
I'm telling you, we are some food cooking fools here.

It was a lovely day spent working and playing with my grandson.
Hopefully he will know something other than fast food and video games!!!

WELL,
It's way past my bed time, so......
Till next time,
Bonjour

4 comments:

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

interesting, i had to look up what hush puppies were as i only know them as shoes. Id love a quince tree. once upon a time people chopped them down, now they are becoming popular again, although the masses havent caught on to quince jelly which i love. i want steves job, id so love to work in a nursery, ive been watching the jobs but nothing around here. i think i might have to pester the council as they have there own nursery here, maybe if i annoy them enough they will give me a job lol

Unknown said...

Brendie-you've had so many interesting jobs. I inagine you would be great working at a nursery since you've had experience at the farm.
Steve really enjoys his job.
I've never tasted a quince but I hope to soon.

kim andersen said...

Wow....you are the most industrious person I have ever met!!!! I am so impressed by how much you do to make life healthier and more connected to this wonderful planet we all share. Reading your blogs inspires me to do more for myself and stop relying on the conveniences that make us lazy...

Lynda said...

If I worked at a nursery I'd owe THEM money! I would never have a pay-check! I'd love a quince tree. When I was little we had five! I loved the hot pink flowers...I used to try and eat the fruit: yuck! sour! But I understand they are full of natural pectin and I could sure use that when I'm jelly and jam making.

Your creek is wonderful. Aren't they just the best for little boys?!