Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sewing The New Placemats and Napkins

FABRIC WAITING TO BE TRANSFORMED
OK......

The holidays are over, the festive adornment is put away......
Plain dining table now!
What's a girl to do?
Sew of course!!!
4 placemats, 4 napkins and 1 table runner to be specific.
Are you ready?

What you need.
Sewing machine (optional, but very useful)
Thread
Fabric
Rotary cutter and mat (optional, but very useful)

What you do.
1. Cut 8 rectangles 15 1/2" X 12 1/2 " (mats)
2. Cut 8 squares 10 1/2" X 10 1/2" (napkins)
3. Cut 2 rectangles 21" X 11 1/2" (runner) 

4. Place 2 of the placemat rectangles right sides together and stitch a 1/4" seam around all 4 edges, leaving a 3" opening in the middle of one of the seams.
5. Remove from the sewing machine and press to set the stitches.
6. Clip corners.
7. Turn right side out through 3" opening.
8. Press again, tucking in raw edges on the 3" opening.
9.Top stitch close to the edge around the whole rectangle.

TOP STITCHING ALMOST DONE
10. Continue this same process for the rest of your placemats, then move on to the napkins, then the runner.

FELIX LIKES!!!
VIOLA
You now have beautiful table top adornment!!!!

I made my placemats from a different fabric on the back because
I didn't have enough of the rose fabric for both sides.
The napkins are a little small for this same reason
but look very nice folded in half.
The napkins and runner match the placemat's back fabric.
(runner not shown)

This project was quick and easy and you might
even consider adding some ribbon trim to the edges.
The rose fabric used to be throw pillows and
I don't remember what I had the swirly fabric for.
Fabrics come and go here, today curtains,
tomorrow throw pillows, the next time placemats.
I never get rid of fabric!!!!

I've also been working on a quilt.
WISHING TO BE A QUILT!

HAPPY SEWING.
Till next time,
Bonjour

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Such a pretty fabric, Terry. I really need to get my sewing machine up and running. I have so many things I'd like to make, but can't seem to find the time these days.

Your quilt is coming along nicely. Please post a photo of the finished piece. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Nancy, I'll be sure to post my progress.
70 degrees here today, crazy Texas.

Sue from Ky. said...

Terry, I can't believe it. You have chosen one of my most favorite pieces of fabric. I collect so much fabric with pink roses. I collect dishes with pink roses.Pictures of pink roses.I loooovvve pink roses. Pop use to say years ago, that if it was peach, I would buy it. Now if it has pink roses, I will buy it.

Your napkins and placemats make such a lovely table. Nice quilt,too.

heather said...

I love that you are so creative mother. I aspire to be more like you

Unknown said...

Thank you Heather, but if you be more like me then who will have the brains?

Unknown said...

Nice post, thank you for sharing. You have really imparted useful knowledge. A very useful post I must say. Awesome content. I bookmarked it for future reference.

placemats and napkins

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting.