Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Candied Fruit Peels


CITRUS FRUIT PEELS

SO....
Remember those fruit peels I suggested you to save?
This is what we're going to do with them.
You can use any citrus you like,
just keep in mind that the smaller the fruit, the more peel you'll need.
You can scale this recipe up or down to fit your needs.


What you need.
Peels from 3 large oranges or 2 grapefruits or 5 lemons or 6 limes (about, depending on size)
3/4 cup water
1 1/2  cups sugar

What to do.
With a sharp knife remove as much pith from the peels as you can.
(Please be careful, cut AWAY from your fingers, (I can't be held responsible.)
Slice peels into 1/4" strips then cross cut.
Place peels into a sauce pan with enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
Drain.
Repeat the boil, drain thing 5 times.
(Side note, you can save your water from each draining to pour on any fire ant mounds,
they don't like the citrus. AKA, dead ants!!!)

Now it's time to get down to it.
Combine the 3/4 cups water, the 1 1/2  cups sugar in a sauce pan
and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and add the peels.
Cook slowly until syrup is nearly evaporated, stirring often.



Drain peel (maybe save this part for a marinade?)
At this point you can roll the peel in sugar and place on a rack to dry,
then package and freeze.
I drain, then package in recipe size portions (without rolling or drying)
in freezer paper for use in cookies ETC.
These make a wonderful addition to cookies, fruit cobblers, slow cooker pork or chicken, maybe even a stir fry.

This recipe is from the Settlement Cookbook my Mom gave me, third edition, circa 1976

Shall we make cookies next? I'm feeling it!!!

Till next time,
Bonjour



4 comments:

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

ooh yeah lets make cookies, im feelin it lol esp since its dinner time. love peel and marmalade, dont care much for fresh oranges though.

Nancy said...

Would these be good for fruit cake? My mom makes one every Christmas and spends a fortune on candied fruit. Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Brendie-If someone would peel the oranges for me then I would eat them fresh. Seems like a lot of trouble to me to peel just one, way to messy, sticky.

Yep, perfect for fruit cake Nancy. But please dont send me one, ha, ha. Corsicana, TX. is the fruit cake capitol of Texas. Collin Street Bakery is about 30 miles down the road from us.

Amber Mann said...

I am so impressed. You make this seem so easy! I made these once at Christmas-time, and it took a surprisingly long time.

They sure are delicious though!