Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dr. Pepper And Orange Crush Jelly?


Vintage Dr. Pepper Sign

So...

A few years back I was at a craft show in Corsicana, TX.
(When am I not at a craft show)?

Anyway....

There was a lady selling all kinds of jams and jellies,
but the ones that caught my eye were made with sodas/colas.
She had Dr. Pepper, Coke, Big Red, A & W Root Beer, Orange Crush
and probably a few more that I can't remember.
These varieties were just flying off her table.
I called the hubby to see if he wanted the Dr. Pepper one,
he's from Texas and is a big fan of the Dr.
He said fore sure, but, by the time I got back with the cash....
Not a Pepper in sight.

Flash forward...

I was trolling the net and remembered about the soda/cola jellies.
I did a google search and found this recipe for
The Pepper and another one for A&W.
Thinking to self, these would make
awesome Christmas gifts.

Yes, I make notes on my recipes, this should say, went horribly wrong.

I followed the directions,
(this ain't my first jelly making RO-DA-O)
but it just wouldn't set.

Expecting some awesome jelly.
Ok...

Google search again.

Why, and how to fix?
Apparently the recipe didn't have enough sugar.
The fix was pretty standard from all sources.
Un-cap, pour into pot, add more sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
Re-boil, re-cap and re-process.

OR...

Just go with it and call it syrup.
Guess what route I took?

YEP!

I think I'm going to call them,
Gourmet Smoothie Starters, or, Specialty Pancake Toppings,
or, Terry's Awesome Milk Shake Blends...


Terry's Awesome, Orange Crush and Dr. Pepper Gourmet Syrups.
The jar with the white lid is the leftovers from each batch.
Didn't get processed and went straight to the fridge.
I will try again!

If you're on my Christmas list.....

Till next time, happy canning.
Bonjour

2 comments:

Jess said...

I'll be curious to hear how it tastes. Sounds interesting and fun!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and you are so creative ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Thanks for coming by ^_^