Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sunflowers, Soap Demo and Canning Demo

Out and about....


The Texas Workforce Commission offers free workshops
on all matter pertaining to getting you back to work ASAP.
I've attended several of these classes, resume writing, susccessful work searches,
getting to yes in an interview, marketing yourself........
Helpful? Yes,  but still no job!
So,
 I've been working on creating income in a different way.

Sewing, Etsy, soap company, soap classes, up-cycling vintage furniture
and my newest....  canning classes.

I thought everyone knew how to can!
I was wrong!!!!

Roland's Nursery is having a grand opening at their new
location and I get to be one of the attractions.
I've been asked to give a canning demo and a
soap-making demo in the same day.
One in the morning, the other in the afternoon.
Pretty cool, yes?

I spent the better part of today writing out my
presentation on the canning demo, compiling the "to take" list and choosing a recipe.

The soap I know pretty well.

My daughter Ginger is going to help me facilitate all of this,
but I have to tell you, the   "to take"   list for both projects
is pretty extensive.

I have faith though, we can make this happen!


Anyway...

On my way to and from the workforce office
I noticed these sunflowers in  the fields
where the cotton had been  last year!
There's about four large fields.

Bio fuel perhaps?
I don't know, but what I do know is,
when I first started making soap I had sunflower oil in the recipe.
Then it disappeared from the market shelves, never to be heard from again.
I just assumed they were using it in the manufacturing of bio fuel.

If anyone can enlighten me on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Till next time,
Happy canning!
Bonjour


2 comments:

Sue from Ky. said...

Among the crops identified as potential sources of bioethanol are: sugarcane, sweet sorghum, coconut, corn, cassava, and jathropa. And now, sunflower is also coming into the picture as another potential bio-source for ethanol.

The potential of sunflower (along with rapeseed) is also being studied in Taipei in their effort to look for more domestic feedstocks coupled with best available and affordable technology.
(copied from Agri Business Week website)http://www.agribusinessweek.com/biofuel-from-sunflower-a-bright-opportunity-for-the-sun-loving-bloom/


Stay that busy and you'll definitely get called for a job. Employers know folks who work like you do,will get the job done, no matter what.

Christine said...

Good Luck with the demos. I am sure they will be a great success and they might lead to something else.
Have you made so little cards with your contact details them in case somebody wants to contact you? If you leave them on the side then somebody can pick one up if you are busy talking to other people.