Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours!!!

WELL.....
The cooking is finished & I'm back at the computer.
I like to have an espresso on Fridays just to get a chance to use my Fiesta Ware cup & saucer. I cook every Friday, making the meals for the week, that way I only have to turn on the oven once a week. Today I made sour cream chicken enchiladas, chicken & dressing, foccacia bread & DRUM ROLL PLEASE
RUNZA!  Well sort of.    Nancy, of El Vigilante posted a recipe for runza which sounded good but alas, I didn't have the proper ingredients so I improvised!
I used diced chicken that was sautéed in olive oil & oregano, diced, sautéed onion, garlic, celery, patti pan squash & poblano pepper with drained diced tomatoes thrown in for good measure. Didn't have mozzarella, used colby jack instead. Made foccacia bread dough in my super duper handy bread machine then proceeded on. I rolled out the dough like she said (sprinkled some herbs on the rolling board first) then filled & folded, COOL. Into the oven they went along with everything else & VIOLA, these really cool, hot pocket kind of thingies. Typically when I do a meat pie I use a pie dough recipe, this was way easier. (Just tasted, I say yummy!!) I want to try it the Italianio way too.
This recipe has all kind of possibilities, thanks El Vigilante, you are my new best friend.

OK, time to share! AKA things I do to be frugal,
1. make my own coffee creamer (found the recipe on another blog)
2. keep a 5 gal. bucket in the shower to capture water for reuse
3. Heat the water in a tea kettle to wash my dishes (no running the water till it gets hot)
4. wash my dishes in a dish pan (reuse the water outside to put in the flower/herb beds)
5. put my washed dishes in another dish pan till I'm done, then rinse (reuse the water outside to put in the flower/herb beds)
6. use a clothes line & indoor drying rack for laundry
7. have my computer, TV/stereo, microwave, cell phone charger, ETC on  power strips, turn off when not in use (sneaky little energy stealers)
8. make my own flavored instant oatmeal (thank you Backwoods Home Magazine)
9. take my breakfast & lunch to work (we leave at 6:30 so breakfast is in the break room at work)
10. grow herbs, fruits & nuts. (some times we even get veggies)
11. use a slow cooker, bread machine to save using the oven
12. try to never buy food in a box or can
13. buy meat on sale
14. cook from scratch
15. don't eat meat as a main course
16.cook for the dogs (they like human food mixed in with the dry, I add water to make a gravy)
17. wash & reuse ziploc bags
18. sew curtains, potholders, coasters, pillowcases, quilts and anything else I can think of
19. buy used, get free (my sewing machine cabinet was in the trash at my local thrift shop, a little sanding & paint made her beautiful again.
20. repurpose, the coffee cans hold zippers, elastic, ribbon ETC.
21. use fans to help keep the house cool (it's freaking hot in Texas)
22. close the blinds in summer (again, it's freaking hot in Texas)
23. buy white paint in the 5 gal. bucket, (way cheaper) buy a small can of the color in the darkest shade of your color choice & mix the 2 in a coffee can till it's the shade you want. (great for coordinating wall & trim color)
24. use diluted ammonia for any purpose cleaning
25. use the price per ounce listed on the shelf tag at the market to compare prices ( not always applicable, especially on spices, get out the calculator)
26. use a calculator to price per ounce everything else such as dish soap, laundry soap, cleaning products, (just because the bottle looks bigger doesn't mean it has more in it)
27. try to stay away from Wally World (they're the worst at marketing their product in larger containers with less product)
28. if you do eat out & it's not up to snuff, so to speak, go online, complain, state the facts, they want your business, they will make it right
29. before I purchase anything I consider how many hours I had to work to purchase said item, then I decide
Lets make it an ever 30.
30. save glass containers, lots of uses for those, buttons, salt, dried herbs....
OK, I shared, now it's your turn, do you have any frugal things that you do?
Hope to hear from you!
Bonjour

5 comments:

Sue from Ky. said...

I'll try to make a list, but I'll put it in a post. But,Gee!30? I don't know if I can match that!Thanks for the idea!Watch for my list.

Unknown said...

No matching, just adding. What else can I do that I haven't thought of? You do cool crafts out of somebody's blown off roof, how ingenious is that?

Nancy said...

Awesome variation of the Runza recipe! I'll have to try yours now. :) I love this blog post idea and think that will be my theme for today. Glad to know you and I find your blog very inspiring. Cheers!

Amber Mann said...

Thanks for all these tips!

I reuse comics from the newspaper as packaging for gifts, and I save all the stickers in the junk mail to give as prizes to kids.

Sue from Ky. said...

I missed the recipe for home made creamer. Would you post it for me?I already add more water and redrip MY morning coffee gounds. I add so much extra stuff to mine, I don't mind it being a little weak. I try to get as close as I can to a cappuccino type drink for myself.I am not a big lover of straight coffee.