Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

White Elephant You Say?

So....
At Christmas,
my mother-in law's bible study group exchange white elephant gifts.
Guess, who's the load off receipt of all these white elephants?
You're correct,
 me!
About five years worth!!!
Ironically, I don't consider these as white elephants,
to me they are treasures, lovely, pretty treasures!
Tea cups with matching saucers,


some with petite porcelain spoons,


coffee cups and saucers, all in near mint condition.

What to do, what to do?

I needed another shelf.

I had a board, I had some wallpaper from the thrift store.
I covered the board with the wallpaper.
 (stapled it onto the board)


and placed it atop the two cabinets
between one of the kitchen windows.

I had to take down the curtain mounting brackets for the board to fit.
Now I have nowhere to re-mount the brackets.

Ok, I have a tension rod somewhere, I'm thinking.
 I can put it between the cabinets.
Found it.
Drat the curtain is too long now!
I don't feel like hemming it.

Wait a sec,
I have all those thrifted shawl type things,
let's see if we can use one as a curtain.
Many shawls, scarves and saris later I came up with this.


It's a very long, fringed scarf that I folded in half
and safety pinned close to the rod.
I gathered the front half into a ponytail with a ponytail holder,
pulled it up a bit to create a little puff, then pinned it to the back portion.
I used one of my many, many brooches as a center accent,
then topped it off with my dragonfly wind chimes.


The thrifted red shelf holds a Texas State Fair
Dr Pepper bottle that I use for dish soap.
(Dated October 13, 1973 Texas VS Oklahoma)
I have no idea when or where I got it.

Above the Dr Pepper sign is a bracket
that used to suspend a light, but now holds a lidless, black teapot.

Looks like it's pouring for all the cups below!



Do I really have this much stuff?


Yes, I do seem to have alot of stuff!!!
Do you have as much stuff as I do?



As you can see I love advertising art, especially region specific.


Most everything you see in these photos was thrifted or given to me.
That's my kitchen and I'm sticking with it!!!
Do you like?

Till next time,
Bonjour




7 comments:

Unknown said...

I tried to put ...That's my kitchen and I'm sticking with it two times, blogger had other ideas!!!

Amber Mann said...

Your new curtain is very cute. I like the floating teapot too. It makes me think of Alice in Wonderland.

Unknown said...

Thanks Amber, and happy early b-day!

Willow's Dream said...

Hey Ter,
It all looks great! Yes, you do have a lot of stuff. I think we all come by this naturally- our parents, don't ya know...
love u,
Jamie
PS I just saw 2 lovely teacups and saucers from Avon at the good will yesterday- didn't buy them as I have too much stuff already.!

Unknown said...

Hey Jamie-I'm trying to stay away from all the thrift shops, the stuff starts to own you if you get my drift. I love it all, but, geez, do I need it all? Yes, it tells the story of who I am but really, who cares but me!
When I die the kids will probably call the place where I bought most of it and give it away.
If they have any sense they will call an estate appraiser and earn a few bucks!!!

Leontien said...

haha your tea cups remind me of my mom! she brought her whole set from Holland to the US and every time we have company she pulls them out! The funny thing is American people don't really know what to do with them because they are sooooo small! haha!

It looks lovely!
Leontien

Sue from Ky. said...

So many of us are so much alike in more ways than one. I, too, am a collector of pretty things.My new house has so many windows, there is little room for wall hangings and the like, but what I do have, is full to the brim.I think that's why Pop made himself a place of his own to hang out in. He doesn't like clutter and my middle name is Clutter, but it's all things,like you said,that make me "Me".Visitors comment on how 'homey' things are when they visit, but I'm sure when they leave, they say "That lady sure has a lot of clutter."but I like it and I am the one who lives here. Like Pop has always said,"If they don't like it, and we own them something,we'll pay them, and they can go home."
Personally,I like your kitchen and your pretties.I'm so glad you are like you are. Just like Me.