Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

DIY Sweetened Condensed Milk


So....
I love myself a good cup of coffee.
 Not black, a good caramel color suits me.
I've probably been drinking coffee since I was about 5.
Mom and Dad were big coffee drinkers, they liked theirs with cream and sugar.
So, naturally that's how I like mine...... sort of.
I prefer the flavored coffee creamers as I've mentioned before.
Way too expensive... with ingredients I can't pronounce!!!!

A while back I posted a homemade coffee creamer recipe that is quite tasty.
But, me being me, I pondered, can I make this any cheaper less expensive?

Google was employed once again.
"How to make sweetened condensed milk?"

Success, I found a few recipes.
One was based on dry milk, another on whole milk.
I went with the whole milk recipe.
So I did the math,
is it really cheaper less expensive 
to make your own sweetened condensed milk?
Oh yes!!!
The Math...
Milk-$1.88 per gal. = .0146875 per ounce x 6 cups (48 oz.) = .705
Sugar-$1.94 per 4 lb (9 cups per bag). = .2155555 per cup x 4 1/2 cups = .9699997
Total per batch = $1.6749997
YIELD 4 1/2 cups total  (36 oz.) = .0465277 per oz.
Market price for 14 oz. can $1.36 = .0971428 per oz.
This doesn't factor in the electricity $$$ (Way too much math!!!)

So, if your interested here's the recipe.
Yield 4 1/2 cups

6 cups whole milk
4 1/2 cups sugar

Heat milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat stirring to incorporate.
When the sugar is dissolved raise the heat to medium high and hold at a simmer, stirring frequently.
(Don't let it stick to the bottom of the pan)
Cook for about 1 hour. The milk will thicken and turn to a beige/light tan color. Strain and cool.
(I didn't have any lumps so I don't know why they included the strain step??)
This will keep in the fridge for several weeks.
I wonder, if you used a double boiler, would it be less needy?

Also found a recipe for making homemade lemon pepper seasoning.
Nathan loves lemon pepper!!!


Till next time,
Bonjour

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm totally going to try this recipe, Terry. I am addicted to flavored coffee creamer -- and it is expensive. Thank you!

Sue from Ky. said...

I don't know what's happened with me and coffee. I put everything I can find in mine. I think I got hooked on cappucinno to the point where I don't like plain coffee any more.I'll put in creamer,cocoa,sweetener,cinnamon and even a scoop of flavored coffee.Go figure.

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy-I wonder what else you can do with sweetened condenced milk besides pies and coffee? I think I will Google it.

Hi Sue - I think your's sounds super good!!!

.Homemakers Tales said...

Hello Terry
Wow.. condensed milk love it we buy it here in tins " Nestles" make it the latest which saves boiling the tins for ages caramel one is super good used to make Banofee pie and millionaires shortbread amongst other lovely things us Brits don't use it in coffee and i would use a double boiler x Kieren